Dr. Alan Friedlander
- Ph D
University of Hawaii
Old Dominion Unversity
For nearly 30 years, Alan has conducted coral reef fisheries and ecosystem-based research throughout the Indo-Pacific and Caribbean regions with an emphasis on sustainability and conservation .
reef fish ecology, coral reef community structure, trophic dynamics, marine reserves, spatial and ecosystem ecology, statistical sampling design, species-habitat associations, nearshore fisheries, traditional and community-based fisheries management.
My teaching interests include courses in fisheries science, marine population ecology, and marine conservation biology, which demonstrate and draw on ecological and experimental principles that can be applied to a variety of coastal and marine problems.
Professional Society Service
- Hawaii Aquatics Conference - Member (July 2010 - July 2010)
Raffaelli, D.G., Friedlander, A.M. 2012. Biodiversity and ecosystem functioning: an ecosystem-level approach. In Marine Biodiversity Futures and Ecosystem Functioning: frameworks, methodologies and integration (Paterson, D.M., Aspden, R.J., Solan, M., editors). Oxford Univ. Press. Pp 149-163.
Sala E, Ballesteros E, Dendrinos P, Di Franco A, Ferretti F, Foley D, Fraschetti S, Friedlander A, and 19 others. 2012. The structure of Mediterranean rocky reef ecosystems across environmental and human gradients, and conservation implications. PLoS ONE 7(2): e32742. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0032742
Friedlander, A.M., L.M. Wedding, J. E. Caselle, B. M. Costa. 2011. Integration of remote sensing and in situ ecology for the design and evaluation of marine protected areas: examples from tropical and temperate ecosystems. Pages 245-279 In: Remote sensing of protected lands (Y.Q. Wang, ed.). CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida.
- See All ...
Hawaii Other Professional Positions and Memberships
- Alan FriedlanderChief scientist, Pitcairn Islands expedition, The National Geographic Society (March 2012 - April 2012)
- Alan FriedlanderMember, NMFS Biological Review Team for bumphead parrotfish (June 2010 - June 2011)
- Alan FriedlanderLead scientist-Easter Island expedition, The National Geographic Society (February 2011 - March 2011)
- See All ...
Hawaii University Committees and Workgroups
- Alan FriedlanderMember - Graduate Admissions Committee – U. Hawaii, Zoology (September 2009 - February 2010)
- Friedlander, A.M., L.M. Wedding, E. Brown, M.E. Monaco. 2010. Monitoring Hawaii’s marine protected areas: examining spatial and temporal trends using a seascape approach. NOAA Technical Memorandum NOS NCCOS 117.
- Friedlander, A., K. Keller, L. Wedding, A. Clarke, M. Monaco (eds.). 2009. A Marine Biogeographic Assessment of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. NOAA Technical Memorandum NOS NCCOS 84. Prepared by NCCOS’s Biogeography Branch in cooperation with the Office of National Marine Sanctuaries Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument. Silver Spring, MD. 363 pp.