Cooperative Research Units
Education, Research And Technical Assistance For Managing Our Natural Resources
Home | Intranet | Digital Measures | Help

History of the Nebraska Unit

10th Anniversary Celebration, 2014

The first Cooperative Research Unit was established in 1935 and located in Ames Iowa at Iowa State College (now Iowa State University). With the addition of the Nebraska Unit in 2004, the CRU program is now comprised of 40 units.

In 2004, the Nebraska Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit became the newest state Cooperative Research Unit through a Cooperative Agreement signed by the U.S. Geological Survey, the University of Nebraska–Lincoln, the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Wildlife Management Institute. Craig R. Allen was our first unit leader, and Valerie Egger was our first administrative assistant.

Since that time, the Nebraska Unit has grown from one federal scientist to three, from one university employee to nearly 100 permanent and temporary employees (at peak field season time), and approximately 20-25 graduate students.

Originally housed in Mussehl Hall (2004), the Unit moved to Miller Hall in 2005, and finally to the newly renovated Hardin Hall in late 2006.

A 10th Anniversary Celebration was held September 30, 2014. Permanent Unit staff at that time were: Craig R. Allen, unit leader; Kevin L. Pope, assistant unit leader; Joseph J. Fontaine, assistant unit leader; Valerie Egger, administrative assistant; Caryl Cashmere, staff assistant.

 

Current Staff

Federal Staff: 3

Masters Students: 10

Phd Students: 15

Post Docs: 3

University Staff: 26

5 Year Summary

Students graduated: 35

Scientific Publications: 110

Presentations: 192

 

Nebraska Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit Cooperators

  1. Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
  2. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
  3. U.S. Geological Survey
  4. University of Nebraska-Lincoln
  5. Wildlife Management Institute