Cooperative Research Units
Education, Research And Technical Assistance For Managing Our Natural Resources
Home | Intranet | Digital Measures | Help

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Are lab meetings and seminars required of Unit students?

    The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources offers many seminars. You are expected to attend the Spring seminar series. Students of Dr. Parrish are additionally required to participate in the Aquatic Ecology and Watershed Science seminar series. Students of Dr. Donovan are required to participate in the wildlife lab meetings.

  • Do students get time off?

    Time off. Technically, graduate research assistants do not accrue official vacation time, but we accommodate requests for time off if project activities and academic milestones are on schedule, if the absence will not interfere with scheduled activities, and if we are provided sufficient lead time to preclude any scheduling problems (at least two weeks). Provide your advisor with a phone number or email address where you can be reached during your absence.

  • Do students pay for their course tuition fees?

    All Unit students are responsible for paying their in-state University of Vermont tuition and health insurance fees (unless already insured) from their assistantship.

  • Do you have any advise for incoming Unit students?

    Becoming a solid fisheries or wildlife professional requires a variety of skills. Professionals need to know how to design scientifically sound studies, analyze, synthesize and integrate disparate ideas and information, explain complex concepts to fellow professionals and the lay public orally and in writing, analyze data statistically, manage their time and workload efficiently, be computer literate, have finely-honed critical-thinking skills, and know a lot about fish, wildlife, ecology, and resource issues. Graduate school provides you with the opportunity to acquire these skills, but few of these skills will be provided in classes. Learning how to acquire skills on your own is a primary objective of graduate school. Early on, pay attention to learning technical writing and how to use spreadsheets, databases, statistical analysis software, and graphics programs. Go to the library often to read new journal issues, keep abreast of new information and current events, and find literature related to your project. Make copies of relevant new articles and discuss them with your advisor and fellow graduate students. Try different time-management and organization strategies to see what works best for you. Such self-learning activities will help you pass your oral and final exams more than any other skills. Graduate school is where your development as a critical-thinking, self-learner should blossom; you will need this skill wherever you go in your career. A copy of Rossman (Negotiating graduate school: a guide for graduate students. 1995) is available for check-out in the Unit office. It is an excellent source of information and advice to help you succeed in graduate school. Please refer to it frequently.

    Graduate school is often the most intellectually satisfying and challenging time in your life. You will likely never have as much freedom to learn in such an unrestricted setting--make the most of this time. The scheduled demands are relatively few, but the responsibilities are yours alone. Keep in mind that you are being provided with ample resources to complete your research project and that you are getting paid to go to school; this really is a rare opportunity and a major investment in you. The Unit, the University of Vermont, and the agency you are being supported by therefore expect a high degree of dedication, energy, productivity, and commitment. Enjoy graduate school, be challenged by it, and revel in the success of scientific discovery. The skills you learn in graduate school will follow you throughout your entire professional career.

  • How many hours do students work per week?

    The Graduate College at the University of Vermont expects Graduate Research Assistants to work 20 hours per week supporting their advisor's research, not including time spent on their own thesis or dissertation research. Unit policy is to allocate those 20 hours to the graduate student's thesis or dissertation research instead, to optimize the quality of that research. Of course, additional time often far in excess of 20 hours per week is associated with academic research leading to successful completion of the student's thesis or dissertation, including reading and synthesizing scientific literature, technical writing, field or laboratory work or both, data management, graphics and presentation preparation, and quantitative analyses. Unit students are occasionally asked to help out with various tasks associated with Unit operations or to assist with other Unit research projects when the need arises. Whenever possible, we try to minimize such duties to give students more time for their research and coursework.

    Unit students receiving an assistantship may not hold any outside employment; thesis and dissertation research activities and academic course-work constitute considerably more than a full-time job and require undivided attention. Realistically, it is physically impossible to be successful in graduate school, complete degree requirements on schedule, and also work on the side. Most successful graduate students find that they have relatively little free time.

  • What are expectations of Unit students with regard to public speaking?

    Presentations are another effective way of communicating scientific findings. Take every opportunity to make oral presentations to both professional and lay audiences. Employers look for job applicants with extensive public speaking experience when hiring, and presentations are an opportunity for the Unit to show that our students are doing high-quality work. Possible venues include American Fisheries Society meetings, The Wildlife Society meetings, the Ecological Society of America annual meeting, etc. You are expected to present your final defense seminar in an open forum.

  • What are the graduate stipends at the Vermont Coop Unit?

    Unit graduate research stipends are $22,720 per yearfor M.S. students and $23,320 per year for Ph.D. students, iwth 20 credits offered at the in-state rate. Durations of assistantships vary as a function of specific research projects and degrees. M.S. students typically take about 3 years to complete their degrees whereas Ph.D. programs often take 4-5 years. Stipends are normally paid as long as student performance and progress meet our expectations, but because assistantship costs are derived from externally funded contracts and grants, we cannot guarantee continuation of assistantships if those funds are subsequently withheld by the funding agency. On the other hand, this has not happened to date.

    Stipends are funded from contracts or grants from various agencies and foundations. We propose research projects to these entities that will answer their questions as well as provide the basis for a graduate student's thesis or dissertation research. If funded, we recruit graduate students to perform the needed research under our supervision. The funding entity gets a high-quality research product, supports higher education, and advances the fisheries or wildlife profession; the graduate student gets valuable real-world experience, assignment to a funded research project, the opportunity to fulfill the research requirements needed to earn a graduate degree, and an assistantship stipend that pays for tuition, books, and room and board. The experience of getting an advanced degree essentially provides the student with their first real professional-level job (above the technician level) in fisheries and wildlife, but with the safety net of advisor oversight. Successful completion of the degree indicates to potential employers that the graduate is a suitable candidate for employment at the professional level.

  • What are the graduation requirements of Unit students at the Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources?

    Read carefully the entire Graduate School Catalog and the Rubenstein School's graduate student handbook. It is your responsibility to keep track of all the hoops you need to jump through to get your degree, from credit requirements, to the timeline for selecting your graduate committee, to submitting your thesis, etc. Make note of all the things that you need to complete the degree in a timely fashion. Any significant deviations from the timeline may result in a delay in completing your program. During your first semester in residence, you should plan on selecting your graduate committee, outlining a plan of coursework, and, most importantly, doing all the legwork in preparation for initiating your study. By the end of your first year, you should have completed a detailed research proposal.

  • What are the policies for communication at the Unit?

    Please check your email, phone messages, and postal mailboxes at least daily. We often need to get project-related data or administrative information from you on short notice and therefore need to be able to find you. Visit with your advisor in person at least once a week to update us on successes, failures, interesting findings, problems, etc. Frequent, effective, and honest communication between a graduate student and advisor is the paramount determinant of a successful graduate program. Our schedules always seem to be full, but you are our first priority and whenever possible we will make time to talk to you on any aspect of your program.

  • What expectations are there for Unit students in terms of publishing research?

    Research is not complete until it has been published in the peer-reviewed scientific literature. We therefore require that Unit students complete research of a quality that is publishable and submit at least one manuscript co-authored by your advisor to a national-level peer-reviewed scientific journal within one year of graduation. (Failure to publish your research results within one year may result in rearrangement of author order.) Manuscripts published under the Unit byline must be certified by the Cooperative Research Units Program prior to submission. The Unit will pay all costs (page charges, reprints, postage) associated with publication of accepted articles. The reputation of a research university is dependent on the number and quality of peer-reviewed publications it generates; publishing therefore enhances the value of your degree. The most successful graduate students, in terms of getting the jobs they desire after graduation, are those with multiple publications. Publishing is a strong indication to potential employers that you are smart, dedicated, hard-working, and follow through and complete projects. Most importantly, publishing provides considerable personal satisfaction and gratification in knowing that you have advanced science substantively.

  • What is the safety policy of the Unit?

    Field work is inherently dangerous. We provide a variety of safety-training courses and require your adherence to Unit safety regulations. Failure to comply will result in punitive actions or termination (not to mention the likelihood of personal injury). All Unit personnel must complete first aid and safety training related to their projects. Immediately notify Unit staff (Parrish, Donovan) of any field or laboratory accidents, equipment losses or damage, mishaps, or injuries involving you or your technicians, including relatively minor incidents.

  • What kind of reporting requirements are there for students?

    To keep your advisor apprised of your project activities, progress, and setbacks, and to gain experience in writing reports, please provide her with a brief quarterly report. It should include 1. activities and accomplishments towards thesis or dissertation research, 2. additional research activities (side projects), 3. professional society activities, 4. a summary of a recently-read research paper, 5. equipment problems and repair needs, 6. new publication and presentation citations, and 7. plans for next month. We will use these to keep the funding agency and Unit Cooperators informally informed of your progress. Research projects also require formal periodic progress reports and a final report to the funding agency. You are responsible for providing your advisor with draft reports one month in advance of due dates.

  • Where do Coop Unit students conduct office work?

    Unit students are provided a desk, computer, and office space in the Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources. Please use this as your primary writing, reading, analysis, discussion, and study area, not only to learn how to work amidst distractions, but also because it is there that you will interact most with your fellow graduate students. Fellow graduate students often become life-long friends, a source of motivation and help, and provide a network of contacts throughout your career. What you learn from other graduate students is often as important as what you learn in classes and from your own research. To widen your experience and perspective, actively seek out opportunities to help other students with their research--these add skills to your resume and provide you with a source of reciprocal help.


Current Staff

Federal Staff: 2

Masters Students: 1

Phd Students: 5

Post Docs: 1

University Staff: 2

5 Year Summary

Students graduated: 5

Scientific Publications: 20

Presentations: 35


Contact Us

Vermont Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit Burlington, VT 05405 Phone: (802) 656 - 3011 Fax: (802) 656 - 8683

Vermont Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit Cooperators

  1. U.S. Geological Survey
  2. University of Vermont
  3. Vermont Department of Fish and Wildlife
  4. Wildlife Management Institute